Monday, September 2, 2013

August 20, 2013 - Week 2!



Hola hola hola!
I can´t believe this is my third week. It´s all flying by so fast! The days start to blur together, but each one is so wonderful. We got to go to the Mexico City temple last Tuesday for P-Day and it was a little tricky in Spanish, but so amazing to be able to go there after only being here for a week. Here the people just walk in the middle of the streets and somehow they don´t get hit. I always say I have a guardian angel when I drive because somehow I haven´t died, well I firmly believe there must be millions of angels here because I just don´t know how everybody isn´t dead. We watched a devotional after by Richard G. Scott about prayer and it seemed to just fit perfectly for what everyone was needing to hear. My favorite thing he said was how our Father in Heaven is not absent father and knows each of us perfectly. Later, we were watching a clip by President Eyring and I just loved when he said that God is never hidden from us, we hide ourselves from Him and are unwilling to submit to His will.
My Spanish is getting better little by little. It´s amazing how much everyone is my district is progressing and learning. The hermanas and I did a day of only Spanish, which meant there wasn´t much talking between us and a lot of use of our dictionaries. I love my teachers. Our first investigator, Carlos, is now our 2nd teacher (his real name is Rodolfo Martinez.) He speaks very little English, so he´s always asking us how to say certain things. He emphasizes the beginning of the word ¨focus¨quite a bit, so it´s always really hard not to laugh. But, he is so wonderful! We taught him again as a different investigator named Gustavo, (he has a lot of differnt personalities), and he committed to being baptized on the first visit! Hermana Thaxton and I were so excited. He was so funny in our lesson, too. Oh, I LOVE my companion. Everyday I am so thankful for her. She keeps me laughing and I feel like I´ve known her forever! She also takes really good care of me! My mouth started swelling up again from my wisdom teeth removal (I think) when I first got here and hurting more than they ever had before, and she was so loving about it. She strongly encouraged me to get a blessing from our district leader, Elder Mikkelson, when it hadn´t gotten any better after a week. Then, she took me to the doctor and and he gave me some painkillers for it that have helped a lot. he was sort of a quirky old man doctor who was the least comforting doctor I have ever been to, but in the end it all worked out. Now I don´t resemble a chipmunk and look like I am hoarding tortillas in my cheeks! 
On Sunday I had to give a talk in Spanish. i don´t remember if I told you guys, but we all have to write a talk and then during sacrament meeting they just call on random people. I told Hermana Thaxton on the way to church that I knew I was going to get called on because I didn´t really like my talk and I felt like it wasn´t very good. Of course, our branch president called on me, while struggling with pronouncing Haynie because all the native speakers have a hard time, and Hermana Thaxton told me my face instantly turned bright pink. I wasn´t suprised. But, it went pretty well. I based it off of John 15:14-19 when Christ is calling the apostles and refers to them as His friends when they do whatsoever He commands them to do, and how He called them to share His gospel, just like He has done with all the missionaries here. The Elders in my district kept making me laugh so I´m sure people were confused why I was so smiley, but it turned out okay.  
I love it all here, even the mosquitoe bites and our broken showerhead that sprays the entire bathroom, and the pancakes that are made out of cake batter. I can´t imagine being anywhere else and I know that our Father in Heaven has a smile on his face when He looks down at the Mexico MTC because of all the amazing missionaries here giving their whole selves to Him. Everyday I am so impressed with how friendly and happy everyone is! In less than a month I´ll be in El Salvador and I couldn´t be more excited! Les amo!
Todo el amor in mi corazon,
Hermana Haynie






            Hermana Haynie and her CCM companion Hermana Thaxton 


Hermana Thaxton and Hermana Haynie 




No comments:

Post a Comment