Wednesday, February 4, 2015

October 28, 2013



Hola!


 
Okay, we don´t have a pet, but we have a stray dog that has stolen our hearts and followed us around for an entire day. It has a broken leg and is the skinniest dog I have ever seen. We fed it some food (he loves pizza) and then he decided it wanted to be a missionary as well. It would wait outside of people´s houses and then continue with us, always following right behind. We now keep a little bowl of water outside our casa incase it comes and needs a drink. Anyway, this week was the most special week in my whole entire life I think. So on MOnday at a family night, we watched the movie about Thomas S. Monson with Mauricio at Miriam´s house. After the movie, he turned to us and said, ¨"I need to get baptized earlier, on Friday!"Of course, we had no problem with that. Then, on Wednesday night at the chapel before his baptismal interview with our district leader, we were trying to solidify a time that could work for our bishop and ward mission leader to be at the baptism, and Mauricio said, "Can I just get baptized tomorrow?!" So, Wednesday night our ward mission leader was an angel and planned a baptismal service, we called almost every member to invtie them, and somehow with divine help it all came together. Hermana Chant and I had been praciticing to sing "O mi Padre" to the tune of "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing." As the service began, he just kept telling us how excited he was to be able to be a part of the true church. He told us how he had been praying before he met us that he would find a way to become closer to God. He told us that when we met on the bus and we told him we were missionaries, he felt something different in his heart and heknew Heavenly Father had answered his prayer. He was just glowing at his service. As  we sang, of course the Hall crying genes I inherited from my mother kicked in, and the fourth verse was a struggle. As we sang, "Padre, Madre, quiero veros en la corte celestial.. Si, despues yo acaba cuanto tenga que cumplir, permitid me ir al cielo con vosotros a vivir," my heart literally swelled up and it just hit me so strongly how this precious son of our Heavenly Father can now return to live in the presence of our Heavenly Father. My favorite line of that hymn is the end, when in english it translates to "allow me to go to Heaven to live with you." Mauricio can do that now. He was baptized exactly 2 weeks after we met him and had our first lesson. The Lord´s hand is so prominent and visible in our lives, we just have to recognize how close he truly is. My testimony of hearts being prepared by angels was so strengthened by our experience with Mauricio. The very next day after his baptism, he came with us to visit and teach and again on Sunday. He told us he is going to convert all of his family, friends, and then all of El Salvador! He even brought a friend to church, who is now extremely interested in the church. Mauricio is recieveing the priesthood next Sunday and is going to bless the sacrament. How incredible this work is. Miracles happen and my heart is just full of gratitude that I got to be a witness to the reality of how the Gospel changes lives. He told us we saved his life, but I know we were just instruments for the Lord´s love to shine thorugh and touch his already prepared heart.


 
Oscar, an old investigator that we are re-visiting, told us that one day he was feeling really alone and down, and felt like he should read the Book of Mormon (this was during the time that missionaries hadn´t since him for a long time). He told us that as he read, he came across a scripture that touched him and lifted his spirits, and he no longer felt the sadness he felt before. It´s incredible the Book of Mormon´s ability to reach out to each of us and console our personal, unique needs. The Book of Mormon gives us a deeper understanding of the Savior´s atonement for every single one of us. I love how the Savior suffered for the entire world, taking upon Him our trangressions and afflicitions, yet He can be so personal for each of us. He is my Savior and my Redeemer. Ah! A miracle occurred at church yesterday! Hermana MIriam, who never comes to church when it rains, came! She even went to the temple prep class and stayed for all three hours! She is now working towards being able to go to the temple. I can´t wait for that day.


 
I accidentally told a little girl my real name, ooops. We were visitng a menos activo and her daughter, and her daughter´s friend told me her name was Allison, which isn´t too common of a name here, and before I could stop the words from coming out of my mouth, I said, "Oh, that´s my name too!" Then I realized 1)My name right is Hermana Haynie and 2)How strange it felt to say my name was Allison because it really doens´t feel like it right now. Allison or Ally just sounds bizarre. Definitely going to take some time to get used to being that again after my mission. The people here always laugh as they try to pronounce Haynie. If only I had a more Latin last name!


 
I love this work. I love being able to do my best to take care of this little part of the Lord´s vineyard here in Girasoles. I never want to leave! The people are so dear to me and have so much love for us. As imperfect as I am, I know the Lord is helping me to overcome my weaknesses and I am trying to give all of myself to Him so that He can make of me what He needs to.


 
All the love in my heart goes out to all of you!


 
Hermanita Haynie

No comments:

Post a Comment